Bryce Canyon Summer Construction Schedule Announced

The park is planning a variety of entrance fee funded projects this summer


BRYCE, UT – Hoodoos, potholes and cracking pavement—the power of frost wedging shapes Bryce Canyon National Park in a variety of ways. To help preserve and improve existing pavement, the park is planning a variety of entrance fee funded projects this summer. Minimal impact to visitor experience is expected for most of these projects, though some traffic delays and detours will occur. As always, park visitors can enjoy the most predictable visit by riding the park shuttle.


The most extensive project this summer will be the complete resurfacing of the Lodge Loop road. This one-mile section of roadway connects the Bryce Lodge and Sunrise Point area with the main park road. Resurfacing work will occur from June 15th through September 15th. Traffic delays of no more than 15 minutes will occur between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. on work days. No work is scheduled to occur on weekends or federal holidays.


At nearby Sunrise Point, replacement of a quarter mile of aging asphalt sidewalk is likely to begin in May and continue in stages through the summer. The new concrete path will comply with the standards of the Architectural Barriers Act (ABA) of 1968, providing a fully accessible connection to the Rim Trail. Pedestrians can expect short-term detours in this area.


To help increase the lifespan of existing pavement, resealing of both the Visitor Center and Additional Parking lot across the road are expected to begin in June. Closures should not last more than 72 hours, and one parking lot will remain open while the other is being resealed. Restriping of parking spaces will also occur to help clarify traffic flow in these lots.


Also in June, the Shared Use Path will be resealed from the park’s northern boundary to Inspiration Point. Sections of this popular multi-use bicycle and pedestrian path are expected to close for no more than a day at a time.


Lastly, restriping of the full 18 miles of the main park road is scheduled for July and August. Short-term closures of less than an hour may occur along sections of the road, though most traffic will only be temporarily slowed.


Infrastructure improvement projects like these are possible thanks to visitor fee dollars. At Bryce Canyon, 80 percent of entrance and recreation fees collected remain at the park for projects to improve the visitor experience. The remaining 20 percent is used to benefit parks that do not collect fees.


As construction begins, visitors should expect the park to announce any temporary closures on its website and social media channels. Please visit the park’s website at and follow the park on social media for details on park operations before your visit.



About the National Park Service: More than 20,000 National Park Service employees care for America’s 423 national park units and work with communities across the nation to help preserve local history and create close-to-home recreational opportunities.  Visit us at, on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube


Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.